images on this website are protected with a copyright watermark across the image. All Purchased Prints will be free of visible watermarks.
improve the performance of theAvo Lancaster bomberat high
altitudes and to provide greater bomb-loads, Avro fitted a
higher aspect ratio wing and a lengthened fuselage. Initially
designated Lancaster B.IV and B.V, the aircraft was called
the Lincoln B.1 and B.2. The B.1 had British Merlin 85 engines
and the B.2 had Packard-built Merlin 68, 68A or 300 engines.
Sixty-one Lincoln B.30s were built in Australia, and some
of theses were used on Maritime Patrol/ASW duties. A few served
Avro Type 694 Lincoln was a British four-engined heavy bomber
of the Second World War, first flying on 9 June 1944 and
entering service in August 1945, too late to be used in
action. The last piston-powered bomber built for the RAF,
a total of 604 were built.